Sunday, September 10, 2017

Day In, Day Out

We're going into a new season of Youth Ministry. Does it feel any different? Sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't. Do you ever have someone ask you on your birthday, "Do you feel any older?"

We all seem to answer the same way: "Ha...no."

Remember the things we talked about last year? Who are you? How do you pray? How do you, personally, relate to problems in the world?

Now apply the things you learned about yourself to now.

Who are you now? Do you pray the same way? Do you still relate that way to the world?

For most of us, the answer will be no. A lot can change in a year. I certainly don't consider myself exactly the same as I would have this time last year. I know more now. I've changed. I've seen more of the world, even just a little. Every little bit counts.

I once heard a young woman talk about her journey with God, and she said something amazing: "Even though I got angry at God sometimes, I never stopped talking to Him. Even if I was just yelling at Him or whining to Him. I never stopped."

Sometimes we'll get mad about things. We'll start seeing things in a different light. We discover things - happy things, sad things, things that make us seethe. We grow and we learn and we change. But one thing should stay the same. No matter what else changes - we should strive to keep one thing constant.

Talk to God.

Even if you're angry. Even if you're hurt and you don't understand. Through the happy things and the sad things and the scary things and the crazy things. Talk. Talk all the time. Talk day in and day out. About anything. Everything. Get mad. Be bored. Change. Grow. But talk. Never stop talking.

"...be gracious to me, Lord; to you I call all the day."
~Psalm 86:3

Much love!
Ceci Galvin
CYM, St. John the Evangelist