Sunday, October 15, 2017

It Can't Happen to Us

One of my students calls this week "Pimp Week" thanks to the video we get to watch around this time every year. Every time she says it, we laugh. It's funny sounding. I always try to smile despite the fact that this kind of thing is an unbelievably travesty that occurs all the time. Because, if I don't smile, I'll cry.

I think we tend to forget that this is something that goes on. You know how it's become a sort of cop-out line to hear in movies when people say, "This kind of thing happens to other people"? I think it's become a sort of cliche because, on some level, we all know it's true. I'm sure we've said it to ourselves. Or, when we hear it, we relate. We relate enough times that it becomes mundane to relate.

But, on another level, it is the kind of thing that most of us would never think would happen to us. And we joke, and we make funny names for it because it feels awkward and unnecessary. But maybe even if it doesn't happen to us...it happens.

It's tragic and senseless and awful. And maybe it doesn't happen to us. But it happens.

Don't let it happen to us. And don't let it happen to one another.

"The path of the upright leads away from misfortune;
those who attend to their way guard their lives."
~ Proverbs 16:17

Much love!
Ceci Galvin
CYM, St. John the Evangelist